11/2/11 – Gary Stephenson teaches the Wednesday night class on creation from a scientific point of view.
Category: Gary Stephenson
Design Or Chance?
April 13th, 2011- Gary Stephenson continues his Wednesday night series, “Science and Faith”, with his class on “Design Or Chance?”
Wednesday Night Series “Science and Faith”
April 6th, 2011- Gary Stephenson introduces the new Wednesday night series on “Science and Faith”
The State of the Church
Update from the ministers, shepherds, and deacons on the past, present, and future of Downtown Church. The text used is Mark 2: 1-12.
Small Group Questions
1. Read Mark 2: 1-12 (NLT)
2. The Planning. Discuss intentional planning that you have done in order to talk to someone about Jesus Christ. i.e., how did you plan to get them into the presence of Jesus?
3. The T.E.A.M. It took four people working together to carry their friend into the presence of Jesus. How can/could, or does, your small group work together to carry someone into the presence of Jesus?
4. The Wounded and Weary. While the leaders of the law saw Jesus as “blaspheming God” by Him “forgiving his sins”, Jesus saw it as an opportunity to show the power of God. Why would Jesus “forgive sins” first before showing His power to “heal”?
5. The Crowd. The overflow crowd, inside–outside and all around, were excited to be in the presence of Jesus, yet in some ways prevented others from coming to see Jesus. Could it be possible, and in what way(s), can our wanting to be in the presence of Jesus prevent or hinder someone from coming to see Jesus?
Downtown Church service from October 18, 2009. Laments were shared by David Mathews, Ross Kellis, and Gary Stephenson.
This is part of our ongoing series called God’s Relentless Pursuit – A Study of the Minor Prophets.
Small Group Questions
Pendulum Swings: Pendulum swings, better known as icebreakers or getting started questions, are just a fun way to kickoff your small group time together by going from the not so serious to deeper connecting times.
The 3 questions of the week as you begin your Small Group …
- Name your favorite … musician you listen to, but hate to admit it.
- Name your favorite … church that you have visited, and why?
- Name your favorite … biblical promise.
- Re-READ: Habakkuk 3:17-19 noted in this morning’s lesson.
- Luke 13:31-35
-Read this passage of Jesus’ lament over Jerusalem
-Discuss the emotions of Jesus as he heads toward Jerusalem.
- Luke 27: 45-46 / Psalm 22
-Jesus has another lament as he cries out to his father while on the cross, quoting from Psalm 22
-Discuss possible reasons He is feeling forsaken by his father.
-Was He forsaken, and if so, how?
- If you feel comfortable doing so, share with your small group the lament that you wrote down this morning.
- Discuss some of the benefits from expressing our laments to God.